Dr. MIKAO USUI
REIKI is a Japanese technique of taking or giving the universal energy to all the energy bodies. The word REIKI is derived from two Japanese words, Rei-Ki. REIKI is pronounced as Ray-Key. By taking this energy, we activate and energize the energy bodies and chakras, thus getting health (health of body and mind), wealth and prosperity. It can also be used for stress reduction and relaxation. Though this is an INDIAN technique originating back to 600 B.C (like blessing, ashirwada), this was rediscovered and brought down to earth from the astral plane by Dr. MIKAO USUI in the early nineteen hundreds. REIKI is generally a touch healing technique, that is, by laying hands on the physical body. REIKI can also be used as a distant healing technique. REIKI is a very simple and yet powerful healing technique, which can be learnt easily by anyone (any age, cast, sex, status, etc).
The word “Rei” means universal and has many levels of meaning, from highly esoteric to mundane. Research into the esoteric meaning of the Japanese Kanji character “Rei” has given a much deeper meaning. “Rei” as used in REIKI, is Universal Energy and love energy and is better interpreted to mean spiritual consciousness, understanding each person, knowing the cause of all problems and difficulties and knowing how to heal them. So a broader perspective can be seen and felt.
The Japanese Kanji word “Ki” means energy, which is the same as Prana in Sanskrit, Chi in Chinese and Ti or Ki in Hawaiin. It may also be called bio-plasmic energy, odic force or organ and has been given different names in various cultures.
Ki is life force energy/universal life force, a non-physical energy that animates all living things. As long as we are alive, this energy will be flowing through us. When we die, the flow of energy ceases. Due to many reasons the energy flowing through us is lowered and this leads to illness, inefficiency, etc. This life force energy plays an important role in every aspect of our life. Life force is also the primary energy of our thoughts, emotions, spiritual life and evolution.
Reiki is the God’s/Nature’s consciousness and so REIKI can be defined as spiritually guided life force energy. REIKI energy guides itself with its own wisdom rather than the practitioner’s direction.
Reiki symbols are from Kanji, which are actually the characters from the Japanese alphabets and the word Kanji means “Chinese characters” and so it suggests that Japanese Kanji is originated at China. Each Kanji character can have different meanings depending on the context. With specific context to Reiki, the meanings of the Reiki symbols are not clearly indicated in Japanese Kanji. Also, the characters were changed over time and so the power symbol, mental and emotional symbols are different from Kanji.
The Reiki symbols have been kept secret traditionally. While, secrecy is a way of honoring their sacredness, there are also metaphysical reasons. Symbols have no real power without the attunement. Symbols resonate the energy flowing through us to various areas. If a person shown the Reiki symbols without the Reiki attunement (which actually increases the energy flow), the person may incorrectly believe that he has got the Reiki energy flowing through him and not bother to take a workshop/attunement, thus missing the real experience of Reiki and losing the benefits of its healing power.
Why is Reiki so popular?
- Reiki is a powerful and gentle healing energy. This life-force boosts the body’s natural capacity to heal themselves of their problems.
- Reiki can not only heal physical body ailments, but it can also assist in healing emotional, mental and spiritual problems.
- Reiki can generally heal all types of health disorders. They could be diagnosed, undiagnosed, curable or incurable disease.
- Reiki is safe, has no side effects or overdose problems.
- There is no age limit to learn Reiki. Any person who intends to learn it can do.
- Reiki does not work on religious beliefs or practice.
- Reiki can be used as distant healing, i.e., a person can be healed without being physical present or in close proximity with the healer. Healing can take place even when the receiver is far away.
- Anyone can learn Reiki regardless of the level of education, healing ability or previous experience.
- Reiki can be used on plants, animals, children, inanimate things, vehicles, land, for the protection of home and business and for everything else.
- Reiki is a simple tool that reduces stress and enhances inner peace.
- A person can start using Reiki both on himself/herself and on others from the day he/she learns Reiki.
- Learning Reiki is simple, easy and requires very little effort.
- Reiki is safe and it can never be used to harm others even if intended to.
- Reiki works for good and does not cause harm either to the practitioner or to the received or to anyone else, either knowingly or unknowingly or when wrongly used.
The Five Principles of REIKI
It is good for a Reiki channel to incorporate the fiver principles of Reiki and advocate the same others. They are
- Just for today, I will let go of anger.
- Just for today, I will let go of worry.
- Just for today, I will give thanks for my many blessings.
- Just for today, I will do my work honestly.
- Just for today, I will be kind to my neighbor and every living thing.
Since the concept of Reiki is based on the principle of universal love, incorporation of these five principles in the life of a practitioner is vital for his efficiency.
You can learn Reiki in three classes: first degree, second degree, and third degree (Master level) classes. After you are attuned to the Reiki energy by studying one of the three degrees of Reiki, you have the ability to channel Reiki for lifetime .